JOB VACANCY: Professor/ Associate Professor/ Senior Lecturer – Intellectual Property & Innovation
MASTER OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY PROGRAMME & DPHIL in INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Jointly sponsored by:
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO), and Africa University are collaborating in offering a Masters Degree Programme in Intellectual Property (MIP) at Africa University. The programme seeks to assist graduate students and young professionals in Africa acquire appropriate knowledge and skills in the management of intellectual property systems and contribute to Africa’s development. Africa’s economic transformation will largely depend on its ability to build ecosystems that support research, innovation, and entrepreneurship to develop contextually relevant products and services, moving Africa from a consumer culture to a maker culture.
Africa University seeks to appoint a suitably qualified professional as Professor/Associate Professor or Senior Lecturer. He/she will function as part of an interdisciplinary academic and management structure of the programme within the College of Business, Peace, Leadership and Governance at Africa University. He/she will work closely with the Assistant Dean, Head of Department, MIP coordinator and other CBPLG staff members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the authority of the Vice Chancellor of Africa University, and reporting to the Dean of the College of Business, Peace, Leadership and Governance, the incumbent will serve in the capacity of IP and Innovation Professor and will provide leadership in contributing to the smooth organization and implementation of the activities of the MIP programme. He/she will be assigned the following responsibilities:
1. Provide leadership in the design, review and implementation of the IP curriculum, to ensure relevance, suitability and appropriateness of IP for innovation and other developmental needs of African countries;
2. Teach in the IP degree programmes at masters and doctoral levels, conduct and coordinate research and the collection of up-to-date information on trends in intellectual property practice in Africa and beyond;
3. Provide leadership in the supervision and coordination of the students’ innovative research and the preparation of their dissertations for final assessment;
4. Advance and encourage wider student and program initiatives on innovation, entrepreneurship, and technology transfer
5. Supervise masters and doctoral students, and mentor, train, guide and motivate junior colleagues to carry out research
6. Provide advisory services to the university innovation hub and help develop an environment that will nurture research-based innovation and innovation-driven entrepreneurship for Africa University students
7. Facilitate training, workshops, seminars and executive courses in the field of Intellectual Property
8. Attend CBPLG meetings and University wide Committee meetings;
9. Develop a data base of institutions, organizations and specialists involved in education and training activities in the intellectual property field in Africa; and contribute to the development of networking relationships among such institutions, organizations and specialists;
10. Provide leadership in mobilising resources, library books and materials aimed at promoting growth and development in the field of Intellectual Property;
11. Contribute to the preparation of progress and other reports on the IP programmes;
12. Collaborate with the Africa University research office for the promotion of innovative research and inventions; and
13. Carry out any other functions as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Applicants should make sure that their application shows very clearly how they believe that their skills and experience meet these criteria. The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
1. An earned PhD and a proven record as a scholar in one or integrated IP areas and law;
2. Proven ability to contribute to the College and University’s research profile and an outstanding record in research and publication in IP;
3. Teaching experience at university graduate level and as an active researcher in the integrated field of IP.
4. Must have experience in developing and teaching online courses.
5. Experience in a leadership, managerial or senior academic position, in the public and/or private sector environment, or international development cooperation context an advantage;
6. Knowledge of contemporary challenges in the intellectual property field in Africa;
7. Ability to work in a culturally diverse Pan African environment, with a proven record of inclusive and multi-cultural skills in teaching, research, innovation and service.
8. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an added advantage.
A competitive salary is offered on the basis of qualifications and experience.
Qualified candidates should submit their applications by 31 January 2018 with CVs, certified copies of academic and professional qualifications, and two reference letters to:
The Assistant Registrar, Personnel and Administration
Africa University, P. O. Box 1320,